Getting help for car accident victims: Finding a lawyer in Colorado
Despite so much being written about safe driving, a huge number of auto and car accidents are reported in Colorado every year. The statute of limitations in Colorado allows the victim to file a lawsuit within two years from the date of the accident. Whether you were injured in a car accident, or were involved in a pedestrian incident, you have to consider hiring a lawyer. The state also has a comparative fault rule. This simply means that if you were partly responsible for the accident, you will still get compensation for your medical bills and loss of wages. There are some amazing Colorado Springs personal injury lawyers, who can help victims involved in a car accident. In this post, we are discussing the basics worth knowing.
Should you hire a personal injury lawyer?
This is often the first question that people have in mind. After all, why spend on a personal injury lawyer, when you can file a claim on your own? Unfortunately, personal injury claims do not move as smoothly as expected. For insurance companies, the biggest consideration is to reduce their financial burden, and they will apply all possible tactics to either deny the claim, shift the burden on the victim, or just offer the lowest possible settlement. To negotiate with the insurance company, you definitely need legal help by your side. Hiring a personal injury lawyer is an absolute must, if –
- Your injuries are severe and debilitating
- Insurance company has been cooperative
- Your injuries are likely to impact your work life
- You are partly responsible for the accident
- The fault is not clear
- You believe that the other person may file lawsuit against you
How to pick a lawyer for personal injury lawsuit?
- Ensure that the personal injury lawyer is experienced. They need to have their own understanding of the state laws and must know the basics of similar cases.
- Check if the law firm has good reviews, and if you are working with one for the first time, don’t shy away from asking for references.
- Know the costs involved. Most personal injury lawyers like to charge a part of the compensation as their fee, so they strive to get the best possible amount. Some may work on a retainer basis. Ensure that you would be able to afford their services in the first place.
Meet your personal injury lawyer in person to know more on what may work best for your case and the expected outcomes.