An unfortunate car accident can destroy your entire life in a second. It is obvious for someone to feel shocked and scared immediately after, but this is also time to consider other things. Indiana is an at-fault state. If the other driver’s negligence caused the car accident, you may have the scope to file a personal injury lawsuit, to claim compensation for your losses and injuries. Hiring a car accident attorney Fort Wayne is necessary, so as to protect your rights and interests. In this post, we are sharing some of the basic aspects worth knowing about hiring an attorney in Indiana.
- Your accident attorney will work on a contingency basis. When it comes to personal injury lawsuits, including car accidents, lawyers in Indiana will usually work on a contingency basis. This means that the lawyer won’t get paid if they don’t win. The contingency fee is usually between 25% and 40%.
- Your attorney will review the claim initially. Just assuming that the other driver caused the accident is not enough. You need evidence to prove that, and your lawyer will investigate the matter. Let your attorney decide the worth of your car accident claim, and if the whole effort will be worth the compensation received.
- Not all personal injury lawyers are the same. The scope of personal injury law is huge. Someone who may be great at handling slip & trip accidents may not be your best bet for a car accident case. If you are new to hiring a lawyer, ask about the percentage of their practice dedicated to car accident cases.
- Your lawyer must explain your options. Most car accident claims and lawsuits are settled outside of court. Going to trial should be your last resort, because this will be an expensive affair for everyone involved. Ask your lawyer about the options you have, and how you can resolve the matter sooner.
- Your lawyer must take action from day one. From filing the insurance claim to dealing with claims adjuster and taking the matter to court (if needed), your lawyer should be able to handle everything related to the case. Also, ask the attorney if they have courtroom experience.
Finally, keep in mind that attorneys are busy. While you may have direct access to a car accident lawyer, you need to be reasonable with seeking updates. A good lawyer will inform you at every step, as and when necessary.